The next culinary facelift might be the rise of gourmet tacos. Hand held seafood entrees, including fish tacos and seafood sliders are one of the fastest growing products on the U.S. restaurant menu venue. Multiple chains, such as The Cheesecake Factory, Long John Silver’s, and California Pizza Kitchen, have added fish tacos to their menu in response to the consumer driven small plate trend and the growing influence of food trucks across the country.
Fish taco lovers can tie into the growing trend by perfectly baking fish for tacos in the MXP with ACP Chef Sandy Gibilisco’s recipe for healthy and light baked fish tacos with a flavorful slaw accompaniment. The MXP22 combines microwave, convection and infra-red radiant heat to produce a perfectly flaky fish with a crispy exterior in only a minute and a half.
1 minute 30 seconds to bake in MXP, 1 minute to assemble
Yield: 6 fish tacos
• 1 ½ LBS (680 g) flounder or tilapia, thawed, each approximately 4 oz (113 g)
• ½ cup (113 g) reduced fat sour cream
• Juice of 1 lime
• 1 can Rotel Mexican Diced Tomatoes with Lime Juice, juice drained and saved
• 3 cups (210 g) angel hair shredded cabbage, with red cabbage
• ½ teas (1.3 g) cumin
• ½ teas (3 g) salt
• 1 TBS (15 g) olive oil
• 6″ (15 cm) flour tortillas
• Chopped cilantro
• MXP 22 oven
• Oven paddle
• Mixing bowl
• Mixing spoon
• Rubber spatula
• ¼ size sheet pan
1. Stir together sour cream, ¼ cup (2 oz.) juice from Rotel tomatoes.
2. Mix together: angel hair slaw mix, drained Rotel tomatoes, and juice of one lime.
1. Sprinkle fish filets with salt and cumin.
2. Spray ¼ size sheet pan with pan coating.
3. Place in MXP oven on the following one stage setting:
Stage # 1: 1 min 30 seconds 50% MW 30% AIR 100 IR
4. Remove taco shells from oven and sprinkle 1/3 cup (23 g) cabbage mix over.
5. Flake fish and place on top of cabbage mix.
6. Drizzle approximately ¼ cup (2 oz.) of lime dressing over taco.
7. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
-Chef Sandy Gibilisco