National Oatmeal Month
The start of a new year often represents a handful of new goals and resolutions, whether it be starting a new exercise routine or sticking to a new diet plan.
Many of us can admit to having trouble with sticking to these ambitious objectives, but as if ringing in the new year isn’t enough of a reason to jump into culinary change, the calendar can help in more ways than one!
The month of January is national oatmeal month. This vitamin packed breakfast item is a healthy source of B vitamins and calcium, and it takes longer to digest, resulting in feeling full much sooner. It also assists in lowering cholesterol and reducing the risk of heart disease.
Oatmeal doesn’t have to remind you of soupy, bland wallpaper paste though! Chef Sandy minimizes the inclusion of sugar and uses other ingredients high in protein and antioxidants to provide a powerful, flavorful punch.
Fruit and Oat Breakfast Cassrole
• 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
• 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
• 1 egg
• 1 handful fresh blueberries – 2 oz.
• 1/3 cup 2% milk
• 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 1 Tbsp. sliced almonds
• 1 Tbsp. shredded coconut
• Additional 6 fresh blueberries
• MXP oven
• Oven paddle
• Mixing bowl
• Rubber spatula
• Ceramic oval bowl
• 1/4 size metal sheet pan
1. Place all ingredients except almonds and coconut in a mixing bowl and mix evenly for 20 seconds. Make sure egg is well beaten.
2. Pour into ceramic bowl and place on 1/4 sheet pan covered with parchment paper.
3. Place in MXP oven and cook at the following settings:
Stage 1: 1 minute 50% MW 0% AIR 100% IR
Stage 2: 40 sec 40% MW 40% AIR 100% IR
4. Remove from oven and sprinkle with almonds and coconut flakes.
5. Place berries on top of baked casserole.