Mug Cakes Stir Up the World of Dessert
The culinary industry has finally discovered a way to achieve decadent indulgence in just a few minutes. What’s the secret? A regular ol’ coffee mug and a microwave. As the mug cake trend continues to grow in the culinary industry, these small scale treats don’t require a lengthy list of special ingredients, a sink full of dirty utensils or even technical skills, like several desserts do. But that certainly doesn’t mean the sweet tooth will be left disappointed.
Since the nationwide expansion of gourmet cupcakes over the last decade, today’s consumers are beginning to lose interest in this specific concept, according to the Wall Street Journal. And some believe this has opened the door for mug cakes to make their way into cafes and bakeries. While the mug cake offers versatility and sweetness in a single serving like a cupcake does, its total preparation time clocks in at just five minutes, compared to a cupcake’s 15-20 minutes.
ACP, Inc. Corporate Chef Sandy Gibilisco created a recipe for an upside down apple coffee cake, ready in just one minute and twenty seconds using a 12 ounce microwavable coffee mug and the RC22. According to Chef Sandy, microwaves work very well when cooking anything that aims for a soufflé-like consistency in small portions.
UPSIDE DOWN APPLE COFFEE CAKE
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- ½ apple, thinly sliced
- ½ egg
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- Few drops of vanilla
- ¼ cup self-rising flour
- 2 pinches of cinnamon
In a 12 ounce cup:
- Put 1 Tbsp. butter, 2 Tbsp. brown sugar and apple slices in bottom of cup.
- Place in RC22 microwave for 15 seconds at 100% microwave power.
- Soften remaining butter. Mix the following ingredients in a small bowl until creamy:
- Remaining sugar
- Remaining butter
- Add egg, vanilla and beat with a fork.
- Add flour and cinnamon, mix until smooth.
- Swirl coffee cup to make sure apples are completely coated with butter and sugar.
- Pour batter into the coffee cup and swirl once.
- Place the cup on a paper plate in case of overflow, and cook in the RC22 for 45 seconds at 50% power and then cook for 20 seconds at 80% power.
Note: Microwave each mug cake individually.